Verdigris Patination Fluid
for Copper, Brass & Bronze
A cold patination fluid for producing a green verdigris effect on copper, brass & bronze. This will produce a genuine verdigris coating by a chemical reaction with the surface metal.
- Please read instructions carefully as the method of use differs slightly from the Antiquing Fluid guidelines
How To Use
- Creates genuine verdigris patina.
- Fast and effective
- Ideal for use in antique restoration
- Easy to use
- Etches the colour onto the surface
- Usage : Interior
Remove any metal lacquer using paint stripper or similar solvents. Thoroughly remove and clean any grease or oil, including fingerprints, with Cold Patination Pre-Treatment and Liberon Ultra Fine Steel Wool (0000), rinse with cold water, then wipe or blow dry.
- Proper preparation of the surface is essential if a uniform colour is to be achieved.
Dilute the Verdigris Fluid approximately 1:2 with water.
1) Apply the diluted Verdigris Fluid directly onto the item, using either cotton wool or a brush.
Leave the item for approx 18 hours (do not rinse).
2) Alternatively, the item may be immersed in the solution. In this case, immerse the item for 5 - 10 minutes. Remove and allow to dry for approx 18 hours (do not rinse).Post Treatment
A green powdery residue should now be present on the metal surface. Apply Liberon Jade Oil to remove any remaining moisture and to fix the colour. Alternatively a lacquer or a beeswax polish may be used.
Do not use more dilute than the recommended dilution ratio (1 : 2); although the reaction time may be faster, the resulting patina may be powdery and unstable, and contain unwanted residues.
Ensure the treated item is sealed afterwards. Liberon Jade Oil, a beesax polish or lacquer may be used.
Always test product on a spare surface or inconspicuous area for colour, compatibility and end result.
· Do not touch the bare surface before treating as skin perspiration or finger grease will affect the final result.
· Wash hands thoroughly after use.
· Extreme care should be taken when colouring items made with brass or copper plate as Verdigris Fluid may remove all the plate leaving the base metal behind.